Owning your VPS is akin to owning your own dedicated server: you have full root/administrator access and can install and run any software you like. The following is a short list with examples of the types of applications you can run, but the simple answer is you can run any kind of software designed to run on a server:
- Web servers - the most popular use. Apache, Nginx, IIS, and others can all be used.
- Web applications; free applications are available for almost every task. Wordpress, Mediawiki, Joomla, Drupal are all popular.
- Development platform; popular languages are PHP, Java, .NET, Ruby, Perl, and Python.
- Database servers; like MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server and Postgres.
- Mail servers; Postfix and Exim are popular on Linux, or Exchange on Windows.
- Source control servers; like Subversion or Git.
- File servers and/or a remote backup location.
- Foreign exchange trading software, like MetaTrader
- Proxy server or VPN.
- DNS server.
- IRC "bounce" clients like ZNC.
- BitTorrent clients.
- Asterisk server.
If you have a specific application in mind and are unsure if it is compatible with a VPS then we would be happy to find out for you.
All our servers are locally hosted in Australia and our services is targeted specifically at Australians, ensuring you get the best possible performance for your VPS.